[2days 1 night] Guided Mt. Asama Ancient Pilgrim Trek
Fitness Level: ★★★☆☆
Skill Level: ★★☆☆☆
Category: Nature, Culture, Activity
Price (tax included): 65,000JPY per person for 4 & 5 people; 63,000JPY for 6 to 9 people; 60,000JPY for 10 to 12 people.
Located in Jyoshin’etsu National Park, Mt. Asama (2,568m) is one of Japan’s 100 most famous mountains, and has been a place of worship and pilgrimage since ancient times. “Asama” is said to be an archaic Japanese word meaning “fire,” this mountain is an active volcano and has occasionally erupted since prehistoric times.
This is a special program, guided by local professional mountaineers, where you can re-trace the history of Mt. Asama and the paths that pilgrims once took to reach this holy mountain.
|Time (Start/Finish)||Access (Start/Finish)|
|Start (Day 1): 9:00|
Finish (Day 2):16:15
|Start (Day 1): Oni-oshidashi Park Parking Lot|
* Parking is available for fee.
Finish (Day 2) : Tengu Onsen (Day 1 accommodation)
|2 days 1 night||Early May to Early November|
|Number of Participants||Age/Height|
|Minimum 4 Maximum 12||16 years and above|
|Language Support||Clothing/What to Bring|
|English||Weather-appropriate clothing (think moisture-wicking and layers), hiking boots or shoes, rainwear (top and pants), hiking backpack, soft drink (1-2 litters), trail snack, warm and insulated jacket or vest, hat, gloves, sunglasses, towel, trekking poles, some amenities|
|About Fitness & Skill Level||Application Deadline|
|Please see the itinerary below.||30 days prior|
|What is included||What is NOT included|
|Fees for Japanese language guide and English translation|
Mt. Asama summit certificate
Mt. Asama badge
|Transportation to/from the meeting point|
Parts of transportation of Day 1 (The parts marked with * in the Day 1 itinerary below.)
Insurance (please purchase travel insurance
in your own country)
Anything else not specified in “What is included”
(The bank transfer fee are responsibility of the participants.)
- Visit “Oni-oshidashi,” the vast, black rocky expanse covered by fascinating shapes of solidified lava from Mt. Asama’s eruption in 1873, as well as Kanbara Kan’non Do, the only building that was spared by the eruption in the Kanbara community.
- Enjoy meals with local ingredients and accommodation with the story of the Asama holy mountain.
- Enjoy the Comoro Castle where you can feel how Mt. Asama’s presence historically has influenced on the castle’s ground design.
9:00 Oni-oshidashi-en Park –>(by car*) –> 11:20 Kanbara Community –>(by car*) –>13:30 Komoro City (lunch) –>(by walk)–> 14:30 Komoro Castle –>(by car)–> 15:30 Check in at Tengu Onsen
* Fee for the car is not included in the tour price. If you do not have your own transportation arrangement, we are happy to arrange (for an additional fee).
Fitness & Skill Level
You will be walking on the paved and comfortable route in Oni-oshidashi-en Park and Komoro Castle.
Japanese Ryokan with onsen (hot spring). A single room can be arranged in accordance to your request (for an additional fee).
Breakfast (not included), Lunch (included), Dinner (included)
- Trace Mt. Asama’s worshipping footpaths (stone monuments,legendary story sites, etc.)
- Explore a unique volcanic trail and excellent view from the top of Mt. Asama.
- Enjoy a Japanese lunch featuring delicious local ingredients (included in the price of the experience).
- Receive a Mt. Asama summit certificate and a pin badge gift (the certificate will be mailed to your home address after the tour.)
8:00 Tengu Onsen –> 10:00 Kazan-kan –> 13:00 Sai-no-kawara –> 13:00 Shelter (lunch) –> 12:30 Mt. Maekake (Mt. Asama) –> 14:45 Kazan-kan –> 16:15 Tengu Onsen
Fitness & Skill Level
The length of the trail is about 13 km, elevation difference is about 1,100m.
Breakfast (included), Lunch (included), Dinner (not included)
Cancellation at customer’s convenience
- Cancellation on or after the 20th day from the day immediately preceding the starting day of the tour: 20% of the total tour price.
- Cancellation on or after the 7th day from the day immediately preceding the starting day of the tour: 30% of the total tour price.
- Cancellation the day immediately before the starting day of the tour: 40% of the total tour price.
- Cancellation on the starting day of the tour (before the tour starts) : 50% of the total tour price.
- Cancellation after the start of the tour or the traveler does not participate in the tour without notice (no show): 100% o the total tour price.
Cancellation at discretion of the organizer
- In case of inclement weather, we will make a decision the previous day and notify you only if the tour has been cancelled.
- If the tour is cancelled on the day of the tour prior to the start of the tour, no cancellation fee will be charged.
- Depending on the weather conditions once the tour begins, the route may be changed or the tour may be cancelled. No refund will be given in this case.